Vegan Sweet Potato Tacos
Welcome back mamas! Today we are making Vegan Sweet Potato Tacos.
They are plant-based, dairy-free and gluten-free (if you pick corn tortillas). So it’s a super healthy version of the original Mexican tacos. These vegan tacos are made with sweet potatoes, black beans, avocado, cilantro and a spicy homemade dressing.
This is a very yummy plant-based recipe, it’s packed with flavor and it’s perfect for every occasion. It also comes together in no time!
I love tacos so much! Unfortunately finding good plant-based vegan tacos is sooo difficult! Especially here in Italy, in a small town.
So, when I started craving Mexican food I was a little desperate, and I tried so many recipes to get that rich flavor Mexican food has. And after trying quite a few recipes, this one was the winner!
I love these Vegan Sweet Potato Tacos because they’re filled with such magical flavors! The dressing really adds that special touch to the dish, you can make it as spicy as you want and you only need a blender to make it. Also, apart from being super delicious, these tacos are also a balanced meal. The avocado brings in amazing healthy fats, the sweet potatoes are rich in vitamins and the black beans are a great source of protein and fibers.
Finally, if you really want that Mexican flavor, don’t skip the toppings: freshly chopped onions, cilantro and lime make all the difference!
It’s the perfect dish, basically. My whole family loves it and it’s a good dinner idea for when you invite friends over and you want to make some yummy comfort food, that doesn’t require you slaving away in the kitchen all day.
If you try them, let me know how they turn out!
What you will need to make these delicious vegan sweet potato tacos:
Raw Sunflower Seeds
- Besides protein, black beans provide lots of soluble and insoluble fiber — both of which can decrease your risk of many chronic diseases and help you stay fuller, longer. Eating black beans as part of a balanced diet can decrease your risk of diabetes, heart disease, and some cancers. One of the commonalities between “blue zones” — the places on Earth where people live the longest — is the consumption of beans.
- Also known as an alligator pear or butter fruit, the versatile avocado is the only fruit that provides a substantial amount of healthy monounsaturated fatty acids (MUFA). Avocados are a naturally nutrient-dense food and contain nearly 20 vitamins and minerals.
- Among its other benefits, the cilantro plant contains dodecenal, an antimicrobial compound that may help protect your body against infections and illnesses caused by tainted food. The compound is effective against Salmonella, a microbe that can cause life-threatening food poisoning.
Vegan Sweet Potato Tacos
- 2 sweet potatoes sliced into small cubes
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ tbsp chili powder
- ½ tbsp ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 package tortillas flour or corn
- 1 avocado
- 1 handful fresh cilantro
- 1 lime sliced into wedges
- Salsa/hot sauce
- 1 cup raw sunflower seeds soaked overnight in water (rinsed and drained after)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 limes juiced
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeds removed. Optional for spice.
- If you accidentally forgot to soak the sunflower seeds, don’t worry. Just boil some water really quick and let it sit until the sweet potatoes are done baking .
- Preheat oven to 400F/200C. Line baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat. Prep the sweet potatoes into small cubes and rinse/drain beans. Toss the potatoes and beans in the seasonings (Be sure to keep them separate): chili powder, cumin, paprika and sea salt.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes. Flip halfway through.
- Add all dressings ingredients to blender and blend until smooth. Adjust as needed; feel free to add any seasonings you wish.
- Prep toppings. Once the sweet potatoes and beans are ready, begin layering the tacos and enjoy!
In search of a Food Processor to make all of your plant based dressing dreams come true? Here are our top 3 picks:
- Now, listen. I LOVE my food processor. But I did not purchase this until I was already a recipe creator for 3 years and, in those three years, I saved up a heck of a lot of pennies. Once my original food processor died (you will see it below!), I decided to upgrade to this absolutely magnificent machine. Is this necessary for your kitchen? Probably not. BUT, if you are serious about creating recipes and have the budget, this is one that cannot be beat. P.s this has a THIRTY year warranty.
- Brushed stainless steel, 720-watts, large capacity….this is an absolute gem of food processors! I love how it all detaches like our magimix and makes creating AND removing easy. If you have ever had a food processor where the blades do not detach, then you know the struggle.
- So, sadly, our original food processor is no longer being sold (I find this a bit odd!), but this one is the closest that I could find for the price range, brand name, and quality. I always recommend going for the higher cup size (10-14 range), but this is a wonderful option for small families/singles/students. If budget is a concern and you are a larger family, go for the refurbished items before going down in size (I promise, a small cup size will drive you INSANE and you will kick yourself for not going bigger and refurbished!). So this has a stainless steel detachable blade, compact cover, spatula, extra large feed tube, and a 5 year motor warranty.
Find more healthy vegan recipes like these Vegan Sweet Potato Tacos when you join The WonderMamas Meal Plan Membership!
Click on the image above or click here!