Vegan Pomegranate Sweet Potato Bowl
Last week we introduced this amazing Vegan Pomegranate Sweet Potato Bowl recipe to our newsletter subscribers and now it’s time to go public!
This bowl is filled with two of my favorite in-season Fall picks; Baked sweet potatoes and pomegranate seeds. I absolutely love to pair these two together and the outcome is delicious. While you could pair this bowl with pretty much any of your favorite dressings, I do prefer to use some sort of a cream sauce like our chosen cashew cream dressing. Feel free to substitute soaked cashew nuts for some soaked sunflower seeds for a much more budget-friendly recipe!
Another fun substitution or addition that I like to add to this recipe is to mix and match the nuts and seeds. While walnuts are spectacular, you can also try pecans, pistachios and even some slivered almonds. Have fun with it!
The cashew cream sauce is such a crowd pleaser!
Benefits of Sweet Potatoes and Pomegranate in the Vegan Pomegranate Sweet Potato Bowl
- A rich source of fiber which promotes a healthy digestive system.
- Contains many vitamins and minerals including iron, calcium, selenium, and they’re a good source of most of our B vitamins and vitamin C.
- High in an antioxidant known as beta-carotene, which converts to vitamin A once consumed!
- Pomegranate seeds get their vibrant red hue from polyphenols. These chemicals are powerful antioxidants. These antioxidants can help reduce inflammation throughout the body and prevent oxidative stress and damage.
- The juice of a single pomegranate has more than 40 percent of your daily requirement of vitamin C.
- Pomegranate juice can reduce inflammation in the gut and improve digestion.
- In addition to vitamin C and vitamin E, pomegranate juice is a good source of folate, potassium, and vitamin K!
So now that we have talked about some of our amazing ingredients, let’s get cook’n!
Pomegranate Sweet P Quinoa Salad
- 2 Sweet Potatoes Diced into cubes
- 1/2 cup Crushed Walnuts
- 1/2 Pomegranate Seeds removed
- 1/2 cup Dry Quinoa
- 1 cup Vegetable Broth
- 3 tbsp Parsley Minced
- 4-8 handfuls Baby Spinach
Cashew Cream Dressing
- 1 cup cashews soaked overnight
- 1 lemon juiced
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2-1 tbsp maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 400F/200C and line baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat. Peel and dice the sweet potatoes into small cubes. Season with just a bit of salt and pepper and bake for 25-30 minutes until fork tender and/or brown to your desired preference.
- While the sweet potatoes cook, rinse the quinoa in a mesh strainer and add to a small saucepan with 1 cup vegetable broth. Bring the quiona to a boil and then a light simmer.
- Removing the seeds from the pomegranate: Begin by rolling the pomegranate on the countertop to make the seed removal much easier. Slice the pomegranate into 4 sections and peel the skin away while scooping the seeds into a small dish. The rolling of the pomegranate helps to release the seeds without too much hassle.
- Mince the parsley and add all of the dressing ingredients into a small blender or food processor. Blend until smooth, taste test and adjust to your preference.
- Allow the sweet potatoes and quinoa to cool slightly before mixing the salad.
- Once ready, Add the quinoa, sweet potato, parsley and a drizzle of dressing to a large salad bowl and toss until coated. Add the pomegrante seeds and walnuts last and toss lightly.
- Add a handful or two of baby spinach to each salad bowl and cover with the amazing pomegranate sweet potato salad.
p.s. If you dig this recipe, try out these other hits!