Vegan Goji Berry & Mixed Nut Energy Balls
Our family adores energy balls and we create new ones each week with various ingredients: dried fruit, nuts, chocolate, coconut, Medjool dates, nut/seed butter and more!
The boys have fallen head over heels in love with Goji Berries and so I decided to create an energy ball with these little miracle workers. Goji berries have a very long history in Ancient China and have been used for eye, liver and kidney issues.
They are a great source of Vitamin C, Iron, and Fiber and contain all 8 essential amino acids!!
I decided to add as many goodies as possible to these energy balls: Dates, Almonds, Cashews, Chocolate, and Coconut!
Further Benefits of Goji Berries
- Just one ounce of these berries will fulfill 10% of your daily protein requirements!
- The high amount of vitamin C is great to boost your immune system and protect you and your little ones from the flu.
- These berries can aid in weight loss. The sweet and yummy taste (plus the added fiber) can help you to have an easier transition from processed sugar to whole foods. Our family LOVES to snack on these!
- Goji berries contain a special antioxidant called zeaxanthin (this antioxidant gives them their beautiful and bright color). Antioxidants protect cells against breaking down when they’re exposed to elements such as smoke and radiation.
- Goji berries are fantastic for lowering blood sugar and avoiding sugar crashes. They can also improve sugar tolerance if you slowly substitute these for the processed sugar snacks!
So now that we have talked about this amazing superfood, let’s get to blending and rolling these amazing Vegan Goji Berry & Mixed Nut Energy Balls!
Let the Food Processor do all of the work! Just keep processing until a dough ball like this forms 🙂
Vegan Goji Berry and Mixed Nut Energy Balls
- Start by removing the seeds from the medjool dates and adding to the food processor. Follow this by tossing in all of the remaining ingredients.
- Turn the food processor on and allow it to do all the work for you. If you need to stop to scrape down the sides, go right ahead. Continue to food process the mixture until a dough like ball is formed.
- Once the dough is formed, remove from procesor and take either a 1 tsp or 1 tbsp (depending on the size you want) amount and roll into balls. You can leave as is or you can roll in some coconut shreds as shown. The balls will be quite sticky so I do recommend rollling them in some sort of a powder/shreds. Feel free to use cacao powder, coconut shreds, pulsed nuts, powdered sugar or whatever else you want!
- Store in the refrigerator to set and also to keep for the week. I like to keep mine stored in an airtight glass container. These are fantastic for snack lunch boxes, mid-afternooon pick me ups or even as a quick out the door energy boost!
p.s. If you dig this recipe, try out these other hits!
- Vegan Vanilla Cranberry Bites
- Family Favorite Overnight Oats: 3 Ways!
- 3 Ingredient Peanut Butter Cookies