Soul Warming Vegan Butternut Squash Soup
The summer hot air is slowly cooling down, the snow is already starting to fall on the highest mountain peaks of our Italian wonderland, and the boys are running around in the cutest little vintage dungarees known to man. It feels good.
One of my favorite things about Fall, besides the changing of colors, is the change of produce. Don’t get me wrong; I love the abundance of summer fruits and vegetables, but there’s nothing like a new season to bring about a change in the atmosphere of the kitchen. From slicing and dicing watermelons to slicing and dicing pumpkins and butternut squash. From a kitchen full of fruit flies and fresh flowers to a kitchen full of pumpkin spice everything and dried meadow blooms hanging in every corner.
Change. Is. Good.
Good for the soul.
And do you know what else is good for the soul? This Amazing 6-Ingredient Vegan Butternut Squash Soup!!
Benefits of Butternut Squash and Turmeric
Butternut Squash: It’s a fruit, not a veggie!
- Super sweet and nutty flavor: a perfect vegetable for easy soups, desserts, and even porridge!
- Super rich in vitamins and minerals while also being low in calories.
- High in dietary fiber to keep you fuller for longer!
- Nutritional profile includes Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Thiamine, Niacine, Folate, Magnesium and Potassium.
- The high antioxidant content of butternut squash may reduce your risk of certain conditions, including heart disease, lung cancer, and mental decline.
- Turmeric may be the most effective nutritional supplement in existence!
- is the main active ingredient in turmeric.
- It has powerful anti-inflammatory effects and is a very strong antioxidant.
- Can suppress many molecules known to play major roles in inflammation.
- Boosts levels of the brain hormone BDNF, which increases the growth of new neurons and fights various degenerative processes in your brain.
- So many additional benefits that you will just have to feel for yourself!!
So now that we have talked about some of our amazing ingredients, let’s get cook’n!
Soul Warming Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 Butternut Squash Medium in size
- 1 2-inch Ginger, Fresh Can sub for 2 tsp ginger powder
- 1 1-inch Turmeric, Fresh Can sub for 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 can coconut milk Full fat
- 2 cups vegetable broth low sodium
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 pinch sea salt and black pepper
- Slice the butternut squash in half and bake at 375F/176C for 30 minutes until soft. To speed up the cooking time, you can easily dice the squash into small cubes.
- Once the squash is fork tender, remove from the oven and set to the side. Prep the fresh ginger and turmeric.
- Heat a stock pot to medium-high heat and add a splash of water and the turmeric and ginger. Let heat for just a few minutes until soft.
- From there, add all of the remaining ingredients in the list (including the squash) and bring to a boil. Let simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Take an immersion blender and blend the soup. If you do not have an immersion blender, safely transfer the soup to a blender and blend until smooth. I love to add a few chunks of squash inside but you can do as you wish!
- Taste test and adjust. Sprinkle a bit of blakc pepper over the top to serve.
p.s. If you dig this recipe, try out these other hits!