Two Bean Turmeric Hummus
When you embark on the journey to using more Whole Foods in your daily life, you start to experiment. The more you experiment with whole foods, the more experienced and confident you become in the kitchen. I highly recommend you all to experiment more and use your intuition in your cooking.
I was about to prepare my weekly batch of hummus for me and my children when I noticed that I was quite low on my garbanzo beans. I had batch cooked them a few days earlier but snacking had lowered them down to just about 1 and a half cups. This was absolutely not enough for the amount of hummus we go through in a few days (we are obsessed with homemade hummus!) and so I decided to add one of my favorite “sneak in” treats; the cannellini bean.
As I added in these white gems (I use them in everything from pasta sauces to smoothies!), I decided to incorporate some different spices as well. I was craving ginger and turmeric, and so I decided to pair these together in this glorious, smooth and must-have hummus for the week.
We all loved it. I hope you do too!
Benefits of Turmeric & Ginger
If you didn’t already know, Turmeric and Ginger are the goddesses of the food World. If you are not adding them into your daily life, please do!
- Powerful anti-inflammatory effects.
- Powerful antioxidant effects. It neutralizes free radicals on its own but also stimulates your body’s own antioxidant enzymes.
- Boosts levels of the brain hormone BDNF, which increases the growth of new neurons and fights various degenerative processes in your brain.
- Beneficial effects on several factors known to play a role in heart disease. It improves the function of the endothelium and is a potent anti-inflammatory agent and antioxidant.
- Leads to several changes on the molecular level that may help prevent and perhaps even treat cancer.
- Shown to lead to various improvements in the pathological process of Alzheimer’s disease.
- Can help treat symptoms of arthritis and is in some cases more effective than anti-inflammatory drugs.
- High in gingerol, a substance with powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
- 1-1.5 grams of ginger can help prevent various types of nausea.
- Effective at reducing the day-to-day progression of muscle pain, and may reduce exercise-induced muscle soreness.
- Shown to lower blood sugar levels and improve various heart disease risk factors in patients with type 2 diabetes.
- Speed up emptying of the stomach, which can be beneficial for people with indigestion and related stomach discomfort.
- Effective against menstrual pain when taken at the beginning of the menstrual period.
So now that we have talked about some of our amazing ingredients, let’s get to the recipe!
Two Bean Turmeric Hummus
- Food Processor
- 1 can cannellini beans
- 1 can garbanzo beans Chickpeas
- 5 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup water or aquafaba the liquid from the chickpea can
- 3-4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tsp fresh grated ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- A dash of black pepper to help the turmeric do its job!
- Optional: 1/4 cup tahini or simply omit
- Rinse and drain beans if using canned. Be sure to save 1/2 cup of the liquid from the garbanzo bean can if using.
- Toss beans into the food processor or high-speed blender. Pour in the aquafaba or water and blend/process.
- Add in remaining ingredients and blend until nice and creamy. If it is not creamy enough for you, add just a splash of water and mix longer. I like to food process my hummus for several minutes to get the creamiest version.
- Use for anything; sandwiches, dipping sauce, wraps, salads, etc.
- This will last in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Be sure to store it in an airtight container like a mason jar.
In search of a Food Processor to make all of your vegan dessert dreams come true? Here are our top 3 picks:
- Now, listen. I LOVE my food processor. But I did not purchase this until I was already a recipe creator for 3 years and, in those three years, I saved up a heck of a lot of pennies. Once my original food processor died (you will see it below!), I decided to upgrade to this absolutely magnificent machine. Is this necessary for your kitchen? Probably not. BUT, if you are serious about creating recipes and have the budget, this is one that cannot be beat. P.s this has a THIRTY year warranty.
- Brushed stainless steel, 720-watts, large capacity….this is an absolute gem of food processors! I love how it all detaches like our magimix and makes creating AND removing easy. If you have ever had a food processor where the blades do not detach, then you know the struggle.
- So, sadly, our original food processor is no longer being sold (I find this a bit odd!), but this one is the closest that I could find for the price range, brand name, and quality. I always recommend going for the higher cup size (10-14 range), but this is a wonderful option for small families/singles/students. If budget is a concern and you are a larger family, go for the refurbished items before going down in size (I promise, a small cup size will drive you INSANE and you will kick yourself for not going bigger and refurbished!). So this has a stainless steel detachable blade, compact cover, spatula, extra large feed tube, and a 5 year motor warranty.
Find more healthy vegan recipes like this two bean hummus when you join The WonderMamas Meal Plan Membership!