The Five Minute Chickpea Burger (Gluten-Free – Vegan – Oil-Free)
We had one of those crazy days where adventure came before meal prep and we were left with hungry bellies and not much to eat. While this tends to happen every month or so, I usually have SOMETHING in my fridge to hold us over but not today. I had NADA!! Farmer’s Market day is tomorrow so we were dealing with an absolute empty fridge.
I gathered what I could; 2 cups of chickpeas leftover from my bulk cooking, some flour, oats and of course, tons of spices and herbs. Do you know what this can make? The most epic chickpea burgers. The best part? They are ready in under 5 minutes. Here we go!
5 Minute Chickpea Burgers
- Food Processor
- 1 onion diced small
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 can garbanzo beans
- 2 tbsp gluten-free flour or all-purpose/whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp rolled oats we used a gluten-free, organic version
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika powder
- sea salt and black pepper
- Heat a small skillet to medium-high and add 1/4 cup water and the diced onion and minced garlic. Saute until just brown.
- Once brown, remove from heat and toss into a food processor with all of the ingredients listed. Process until the mixture starts to stick together and form a dough. Scrape down the sides as needed.
- Once the mixture is in one big clumb, grab about 2 tbsp of the mixture and roll into a ball in the palm of your hand. Press firmly and form patties. Repeat until all the dough has been rolled and pressed.
- From here, you can either cook on a non-stick skillet *this will take just about 2-3 minutes* or bake in the oven at 400F/200C for 15-18 minutes until brown. I like to use my silicone mat for baking my burgers!
- Once finished, serve on a hamburger bun with all of your favorite toppings. I promise you, this will be your new favorite recipe.