Chickpea Cookie Dough!
I know I know, it sounds crazy. And yes, I was extremely skeptical to try this out after hearing so much about it! After switching up a few of the recipes that I tried and asking the boys what they liked/didn’t like, we now have our very own WonderMamas approved Chickpea Cookie Dough Recipe for you and your family to LOVE!
The key, I found, is to use an extremely runny cashew nut butter or soaked cashews. Another big thing that I noticed is that the addition of an extra liquid (when needed) was never advised. I have yet to make a cookie dough without a splash of vanilla soy milk, and I recommend that you do so as well (with whatever milk you choose). It makes it a lot creamier!
One EXTRA big tip is for my bulk buying folks: Soak your beans and cook them at home. Allow them to cook a little bit longer than usual so that they are extra soft. I find that the canned beans are a lot tougher in the cookie dough then home cooked. An Instant Pot (the only way I cook beans) always works wonders for cooking chickpeas to perfection. Let’s start making some cookie dough!
Love this chickpea cookie dough? Check out these other yummy treats!
Goji Berry and Mixed Nut Energy Balls
Cranberry Vanilla Energy Bites
In search of a Food Processor to make all of your vegan dessert dreams come true? Here are our top 3 picks:
Our Current Processor: The Magimix
- Now, listen. I LOVE my food processor. But I did not purchase this until I was already a recipe creator for 3 years and, in those three years, I saved up a heck of a lot of pennies. Once my original food processor died (you will see it below!), I decided to upgrade to this absolutely magnificent machine. Is this necessary for your kitchen? Probably not. BUT, if you are serious about creating recipes and have the budget, this is one that cannot be beat. P.s this has a THIRTY year warranty.
The Cuisinart 14-cup Food Processor
- Brushed stainless steel, 720-watts, large capacity….this is an absolute gem of food processors! I love how it all detaches like our magimix and makes creating AND removing easy. If you have ever had a food processor where the blades do not detach, then you know the struggle.
Cusinart 7 Cup Food Processor
- So, sadly, our original food processor is no longer being sold (I find this a bit odd!), but this one is the closest that I could find for the price range, brand name, and quality. I always recommend going for the higher cup size (10-14 range), but this is a wonderful option for small families/singles/students. If budget is a concern and you are a larger family, go for the refurbished items before going down in size (I promise, a small cup size will drive you INSANE and you will kick yourself for not going bigger and refurbished!). So this has a stainless steel detachable blade, compact cover, spatula, extra large feed tube, and a 5 year motor warranty.
What you will need to make Chickpea Cookie Dough
Cashews or Cashew Butter
Surprise Chickpea Cookie Dough
- 1.5 cups Cooked Chickpeas Rinsed and Drained
- 3 tbsp rolled oats Blended into flour
- 1/3 cup soaked cashews*
- 2 tbsp maple syrup*
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Splash Non-Dairy Milk As Needed
- Pinch Sea Salt
- 1/4 cup vegan chocolate chips
- Add the rolled oats to the food processor and process until a flour is formed.
- Add in the rinsed/drained chickpeas, rinsed/drained cashews, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and a splash of non-dairy milk (I like vanilla soy milk). Begin to process until a beautiful cooking dough looking mixture has come about. If it is too thick (canned beans will normally do this), add either extra cashews, cashew butter, or non-dairy milk.
- Once the dough is formed, do a taste test. Add more sugar if needed.
- Process for an additional 30 seconds and then pour into a bowl. Fold in the vegan chocolate chips. Serve.
- If looking to prep this in advance, simply store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It WILL get stiff and I do recommend reblending before eating for best taste, however, it'll still be super yummy.
Looking to lower your waste while prepping? Check these out!
Compostable & Unbleached Parchment Paper
Find more healthy vegan recipes like this Cookie Dough when you join The WonderMamas Meal Plan Membership!