We have a Quick Vegan Meal Prep for you all today on the blog!There is nothing better than batch cooking in my opinion, and with that, there’s nothing better than knocking out batch cooking in the same amount of time that it would take you to create ONE meal. Today I give you all,
Three Vegan Meals in One!
I think like most people, our family adores potatoes. I have never been one to jump on the “Potatoes are bad” bandwagon and I never will. Potatoes make my tummy absolutely happy!
I had a big bowl of boiled and cooled potatoes today and I decided to go ahead and prep these into mashed potatoes for the week. Once the potatoes are cooked, the mashing takes mere minutes and you can mix in some delicious minced garlic, sauteed onions, chives, oregano, paprika, cumin, chili powder or whatever your heart desires! I like to add a splash of unsweetened, non-dairy plant milk to give it a creamy consistency as well.
Yum yum yum!
Once the big batch of delicious mashed p’s was on their way to perfection, I got a serious craving for some lentils. I knew that we talked about having some yummy tacos for lunch tomorrow, so why not go ahead and prep the taco “meat” now? Heck….why not make a huge batch of taco “meat” so that we can have it with some mashed potatoes for lunch today too?!
My mind was racing at this point. Saliva was beginning to form in my mouth haha.
I tossed in 2 cups of cooked lentils, a handful of crushed walnuts and a mixture of spices into a pan. That’s really all it takes. It’s that easy.
I had some time to kill because my children decided to actually leave me alone in the kitchen to play with blocks in their bedroom, so I grabbed some tomatoes, a jalapeno, pineapple, cilantro, red onion, and a few other salsa essentials, chopped them up and tossed them into the food processor. Voila! Salsa for the week was made.
An Extra Bonus: My Sunflower Creme Addiction came in handy today!
I knew that I wanted some kind of a “sour cream” on this wonderful bowl of chaos, and I was lucky enough to have made a huge batch of my sunflower creme dressing that can absolutely be a sour cream substitute. This was it…it was destiny. This bowl was MEANT to happen.
By simply batch cooking the above items; Mashed Potatoes, Lentil Walnut Taco “Meat”, Homemade Salsa and Sunflower Creme….my week just became a heck of a lot easier AND delicious.
Quick Vegan Meal Prep Instructions
Step One: The Mashed Potatoes
Grab a very large bag of potatoes and wash them well. Fill a large pot halfway full of water and then toss in those potatoes. Bring to a boil and then let boil gently until tender. This should take about 15-20 minutes depending on your potatoes. Once they are tender, strain and let cool in the strainer.
Step Two: The Lentil Walnut Taco “Meat”
We are aiming for a large batch here, so this is what you need to do. Gather the following ingredients:
- 3 cans of lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup walnuts, crushed
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Black pepper to taste
- Any other spices you wish to toss in
Grab a skillet and heat to medium-high. Toss in all of the ingredients at once, stir and bring to a boil and then simmer low. Let the spices really mix into the lentils here and allow the simmer to last a solid 5-7 minutes before removing from heat. You can mash the lentils if you wish or leave them intact. It’s all up to you. Once the vegetable broth has evaporated, remove from heat and set aside.
Step Three: Homemade Pineapple Salsa
We are aiming for another large batch here, so this is what you need to do. Gather the following ingredients:
- 3 cups fresh pineapple, diced small
- 1 red bell pepper, diced small
- 1 green onion, sliced thin
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1-2 jalapeno peppers, sliced and seeds removed (omit if this is for children)
- 2 limes, juiced
Prep the veggies first (wash, slice and dice). Toss them into a food processor and use the pulse feature about 5-6 times. Grab a mesh strainer and sit in the sink. Pour the salsa into the strainer and let the salsa strain for a good 5-20 minutes for the best salsa.
**5 minutes if in a hurry, 20 minutes if you have time to spare!
Optional Step Four: Sunflower Creme
This creme has been a HUGE hit with our WonderMamas community! You can click here for the recipe.
All you need are some sunflower seeds, lemon, garlic, and a few spices. It will be your newest obsession as well!
Now For the Vegan Meal Prep Breakdown!
Meal One: Potato Lentil Taco Bowl
Grab as many serving bowls as needed and do the following :
- Layer the bottom of each bowl with a nice big (generous) scoop of mashed potatoes. With the spoon, dig a little hole in the middle of the mashed potatoes.
- Next, ladle a generous serving of lentil walnut taco “meat” into the center of the mashed potatoes.
- Either place a big scoop of salsa at the side or on top of the taco “meat”.
- Drizzle the sunflower creme all over.
- Top with avocado slices if you wish!
Meal Two: Lentil Walnut Tacos
Grab as many serving bowls as needed and do the following :
- Heat some corn or flour tortillas until warm.
- Add a nice big scoop of the lentil walnut taco mixture into each tortilla. Top with lettuce, avocado, red onion, cilantro, lime or whatever else you wish to add to your tacos!
- Top with some homemade salsa and even some sunflower creme if you wish.
Meal Three: Mashed Potatoes and Large Side Salad
The best thing about the sunflower creme dressing is that it is the KEY to any salad. It’s all about fresh produce and a killer dressing. Here are the instructions for meal number three!
- Heat the mashed potatoes up and add a nice, generous portion to each bowl or plate.
- Prep a large salad with your favorite greens, diced bell peppers, grated carrots, fresh corn, sliced cucumber, and even some sprouts if you wish.
- Drizzle the sunflower creme all over that beautiful salad (and even the potatoes if you want!) and top with some hemp seeds, avocado or spices.
That’s all for our Quick Vegan Meal Prep batch cooking ideas! I do hope you loved it and try it out for yourself. I am currently devouring the lentil and potato bowl with extra sunflower creme and it’s just heavenly.