Homemade Vegan Pesto
My love story and journey to creating the perfect homemade vegan pesto was like any romantic relationship. We met, we fell in love…and then I had to figure out how to change it to fit into MY life. hahaha.
I moved to Italy a little over 3 years ago and little by little, this country has transformed my taste buds. Their use of so many fresh herbs, spices, and the delicate dough has turned me into quite a pasta/pesto/pizza addicted gal. I wouldn’t change it for the World!
Pesto actually originates not too far from where we live, in Genoa Italy. It was created in the 16th century and is traditionally made with crushed garlic, basil, oil, pine nuts, and parmesan cheese. While you can absolutely substitute the avocado for pine nuts, they are extremely pricey in today’s world! The best low budget substitute would be soaked sunflower seeds.
Through many failed attempts, daring ingredients and constant questioning of any Italian cook that is willing to hear me out, I have developed a few “must-have” staples in my refrigerator. Each week I create a big batch of my veggie packed pasta sauce, my Italian grandma inspired homemade raspberry jam and also this herb-packed homemade vegan pesto sauce that the entire family is crazy about.
In search of a High Speed Blender to make all your pesto dreams come true? Here are our top 3 picks:
- It took me 3 years to choose this blender haha. I’m not even joking. I was so afraid of the price. So, instead, I purchased two other blenders in those 3 years that, low and behold, BROKE. The plant based lifestyle will wreak havoc on most blenders so you must choose a high quality one with a WARRANTY. The Explorian is one of the most inexpensive vitamix options but it still works great. I use it multiple times a day, every single day, and all of the recipes are from this beauty! Check out deals around Black Friday – you can usually snag one of these for under 200USD. For my European followers: Get ready to pay MORE than North America. I’m not sure why, but vitamix in Europe is double the price (which is actually more than double because we pay in euros/pounds/etc).
- I have never owned a Blendtec, but I did live with someone who had one and it was pretty amazing. Never understood why it didn’t come with a tamper (?) but it does work beautifully. I am pretty biased with my years of experience with the vitamix over the Blendtec, but the price point is fantastic and there are TONS of videos out there comparing the two.
- I had a Ninja blender for years and years before I found the plant based lifestyle (or it found me). Prior to going plant based, I loved to make smoothies on a daily basis (still do today!). However, my smoothies were much *kinder* to the blender than today. While having owned both, I could just (and never would) compare a Ninja to a Vitamix – the difference is staggering. However, if you are just looking to blend up some oats, make light smoothies, or create epic dressings? Then go ahead and choose this one!
- Food Processor
- 2 fresh lemons juiced
- 2 cups packed of fresh basil
- 1 cup packed fresh spinach leaves
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup of avocado
- 1/2 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Juice your lemons into a blender or food processor
- Add the remaining ingredients
- Blend until smooth!
- Add in a 1/2 can of cannellini beans if you want a protein punch
- Substitute the avocado with soaked sunflower seeds
- Finish this pesto sauce within 5 days for best taste
Looking to lower your waste while prepping? Check these out!
Find more healthy vegan recipes like this amazing pesto when you join The WonderMamas Meal Plan Membership!
Check out our meal plans here!