Easy Vegan Tofu Scramble
Sunday mornings are pretty special around here; it’s usually the one day a week that Martin has off from work. As many of you already know, he is a police officer in our little Italian town and he works very hard; always running around trying to save a cat from a tree or helping an old nun cross the street (haha – ok, this only happens SOMETIMES).
When his alarm goes off in the early mornings, the boys and I do not even notice. He carefully and quietly slips out of the bed and proceeds to get ready for work at 6 a.m. Each morning he tiptoes back into the room, fully clothed in his uniform, to give each one of us a kiss on the forehead before heading out for the day.
By the time the afternoon comes, I have already heard “Daddy” over a million times and all three of us are anxious for him to come home and give us all of his love.
And he does….every single time.
So, of course, when that one day a week comes when there’s no alarm, no tiptoeing and no slipping out….we make it special. The boys and I gather around the stove (each one of us with a wooden spoon in hand) and make Daddy his favorite breakfast of all time…
The Easy Vegan Tofu Scramble
I have tried many tofu scrambles in my life….and this one is the BEST.
Benefits of Tofu and Turmeric
Tofu: Don’t let the rumors get you down, tofu is amazing!
- An excellent source of iron, calcium and the minerals manganese, selenium and phosphorous. In addition, tofu is a good source of magnesium, copper, zinc and vitamin B1.
- Tofu is a good source of protein and contains all nine essential amino acids.
- It contains a very small amount of fat, but a large amount of protein. Furthermore, it has very low levels of sodium and almost no cholesterol.
- The health benefits of tofu include its ability to help lower cholesterol levels, prevent anemia and manage weight, among others.
- The organic compounds in tofu, namely isoflavones, are instrumental in managing the symptoms of menopause in women.
- Tofu has also been associated with a reduction in breast, lung, and prostate cancer.
- To be honest, I could go on forever here. You can check out more information on the benefits of tofu here!
- Turmeric may be the most effective nutritional supplement in existence!
- is the main active ingredient in turmeric.
- It has powerful anti-inflammatory effects and is a very strong antioxidant.
- Can suppress many molecules known to play major roles in inflammation.
- Boosts levels of the brain hormone BDNF, which increases the growth of new neurons and fights various degenerative processes in your brain.
- So many additional benefits that you will just have to feel for yourself!!
- **Always pair turmeric with a pinch of black pepper for the best nutritional boost.
So now that we have talked about some of our amazing ingredients, let’s get cook’n!
P.s. If you are curious what a tofu press looks like, here is a great one from Amazon. Now, before you go and purchase one, be sure you actually need it. Many tofu brands now press their tofu before selling (you will be able to tell once you open the package and feel the tofu in your hand). Every single tofu package that I have tried in Europe has already been pressed. However, I absolutely needed a tofu press when living in Chicago and Hawaii!
Easy Vegan Tofu Scramble
- 8-12 oz firm tofu if not pressed, be sure to squeeze out all the liquid you can and press for a minimum of 15 minutes
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2-1 tsp turmeric powder
- ¼-1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 2-3 tbsp unsweetened non-dairy milk
- Toast with Jam
- 1 cup berries
- Sliced avocados
- Sliced tomatoes
- Open the tofu package. If it is not firm in your hand then you need to drain the liquid via pressing. If it is firm, go ahead and begin to crumble the tofu with your hands into a skillet.
- Heat the skillet to medium-high heat and allow the tofu to heat up for 2-3 minutes. Add in the non-dairy milk, nutritional yeast, and seasonings. Mix well.
- Heat the scramble until the tofu begins to brown just slightly. Taste test and adjust. I like to add in another splash of non-dairy milk if it needs more moisture.
- Serve as you would with scrambled eggs: I like to go with toast and jam/jelly, a handful of berries, sliced avocados and sliced tomatoes.
- Kids: Children LOVE this scramble. As do adults; it’s delicious!
p.s. If you dig this recipe, try out these other hits!
- Easy Vegan Chickpea Scramble
- Overnight Oats 3 Ways: All Of Our Family Favorites!
- 5 Ingredient Vegan Banana Bread
I love to add spring onions to my tofu scramble ?
Ist there a reason why you put the tofu in the pan first? In my favorite receipe I add the ‘milk’ and spices to the crumbled tofu first ? Just wondering… Maybe it just doesn’t Matter.
Oooh, I love spring onions too! Will have to remember that for next time :). I personally add the tofu first to get it a bit brown before adding in the milk – I think it’s just a personal preference! I’m all about the browned tofu haha. I’m going to try your way next time!
Thank you for sharing this recipe. I love it and will surely give it a try